[infinispan-dev] Generics usage in org.infinispan.util.ClassFinder

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 06:21:46 EDT 2009

On 10/07/2009 12:11 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> Class<?>  is the closest equivalent to Class. It adds no burden at all
> (people can still use the raw type if they wish to stay in the pre-5
> era). And literally Class<?>  means what you've described: "we can't
> say anything about the Class type returned"

I think it's a burden cos you're forcing client to either accept
Class<?> or cast to Class. Example:

A method defined as:

public static List<Class<?>> infinispanClasses();

Any client needs to do:

List<Class<?>> ispnClasses = ClassFinder.infinispanClasses(cp);

A client can't do:

List<Class> ispnClasses = ClassFinder.infinispanClasses(cp);

I see that as a burden on the client cos you're forcing the client to
deal with generics that say nothing.

> On 7 oct. 09, at 12:02, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a bit concerned about the usage of Class<?>  in
>> org.infinispan.util.ClassFinder because in pretty much all those
>> methods, we can't say anything about the Class type returned and by
>> keeping Class<?>, you're forcing clients to deal with generics that
>> don't add anything.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño