[infinispan-dev] The reason(s) why we have so many threads are spawned in the testsuite

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Oct 9 06:38:59 EDT 2009

Thinking about this some more...

On 8 Oct 2009, at 12:20, Manik Surtani wrote:

> More comments now. Since there are 4 different usages of
>> ThreadPoolExecutor each should have, *by default*, a different thread
>> name prefix. Currently, there's no such thing which means that
>> figuring
>> out what a particular thread belongs to is difficult unless
>> threadNamePrefix are set in each set of properties.
>
> Yes, there should be a way of handling this - perhaps related to the
> component name if it isn't overridden with a property.  I'll have a
> look at this too.

This is done now, the component name is used to name the thread if
threadNamePrefix isn't provided.  Should make logs more readable.

>> Finally, KnownComponentNames should probably be an enum, shouldn't
>> it?
>
> +1.

Thinking about this some more, these should be Strings.  Component
names are Strings and can be named from anywhere.  Making this an enum
will restrict the set of names that can be used.  Unless we detype
component name to Object, but I don't want to do that.  :)

Cheers
manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache