[infinispan-dev] ISPN-185: Injecting a running JGroups channel into Infinispan

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 06:07:20 EDT 2009

On 09/29/2009 04:55 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
></snip>
>
> Transport [2] is an interface that wraps up the JGroups Channel (among
> other things), and the default (only?) implementation so far is the
> JGroupsTransport [3].  Now one thing we can do to support channel
> injection is to actually support Transport injection.  This way a
> Transport can be constructed (simple constructor), the JGroups channel
> set, and the transport passed in to a GlobalConfiguration instance
> (setter TBD), which is then in turn passed to a DefaultCacheManager
> constructor [4].
>
> The problem with this approach though, is that it will only work for
> programmatic configurations.  To support declarative configurations as
> well, we'd need to override the relevant DefaultCacheManager
> constructors [5] [6] [7] [8] to accept a Transport as well.  But this
> pollutes the CacheManager API, in my opinion.
>
> So, how important is it that a running channel is used to override
> something defined in XML?

Hmmmm, not sure I understand what you mean by declarative configurations
here. I'd imagine AS, apart from being able to provide it's own
Transport programatically, it could do do something like this in the
Infinispan configurations running on AS:

<transport transportClass="org.jboss.as.infinispan.JGroupsTransport"

And within that implementation, lookup the JGroups transport in AS and
return what the Transport interface mandates.

The above example is what I understand by declarative.

> Cheers
> Manik
>
> [1] https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-185
> [2] http://docs.jboss.org/infinispan/4.0/apidocs/org/infinispan/remoting/transport/Transport.html