[infinispan-dev] hotrod client - initial connection

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Mar 10 10:47:11 EST 2010

On 10 Mar 2010, at 15:33, Galder Zamarreno wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:47:29 +0100, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:
>

>> On 10 Mar 2010, at 13:08, Mircea Markus wrote:

<SNIP />

>> The last one is the correct approach.  The second one could be
>> implemented as an option, but probably later on if there is sufficient
>> demand.  The first approach is definitely a no-go - much too complex if
>> the server needs to maintain open connections to each and every client.
>
> Guys, am I missing something here? Didn't we agree on this email thread
> that we wouldn't be piggybacking this information with each request?
>
> See outcome of
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/infinispan-dev/2010-January/002183.html
> that ends with a +1 from Manik:
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/infinispan-dev/2010-January/002213.html

Hang on, there is some confusion here re: events vs. topology changes.  The previous threads were related to *key change* events.  Not cluster formations, etc.

> We had thought of piggybacking at the beginning and based on Alex's
> feedback, we decided clients would register and the servers would send
> events to them. See "Event Handling" section in the wiki:
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/HotRodProtocol#Event_Handling that
> explains the only way cluster formation changes will be sent around. This
> has been present in this format since almost 2 months ago.

Either mechanism would work in the end, but IIRC we decided to defer a generic remote event mechanism (e.g., for key change events) till a later release.  Cluster topology information still needs to go out to clients though.

I am assuming this will still be implemented?