[infinispan-dev] ISPN-359 and grouping entries for distribution

galder at jboss.org galder at jboss.org
Wed May 19 12:44:55 EDT 2010

----- "Manik Surtani" <manik at jboss.org> wrote:

> So thinking about this some more, it would seem that there is a bit
> more to this.  We can add the functionality easily enough, and add the
> API to the Cache interface.
>
> But would people would reasonably expect this kind of functionality
> over Hot Rod as well?  And would we need to think about exposing this
> in Hot Rod too?  Or would this kind of functionality be implemented in
> the Hot Rod client if needed, so the protocol remains unchanged?

Does the affinity mean that all k,v pairs within an affinity group would be stored under the same node in distribution mode? Or this a wrong assumption about how affinity works? Judging by https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-312, the grouping is more directed at flushing, but https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-359 suggests it could be used for distribution.

Bearing in mind I need to clarify my understanding of affinity groups, baking it into the protocol means that is less work for clients in terms of implementations. If you have 3 client impls, you'd have to implement it in all 3. If it's baked in protocol, it's down to the server implementation.