[infinispan-dev] ISPN-78 and Large Object Support/Streaming API

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue May 25 10:32:07 EDT 2010

On 25 May 2010, at 12:02, Bela Ban wrote:

> In general, we need to define how LOS differs from GridFS, and when
> which tech should be used. I see the following 3 use cases:
>
>   1. Many smaller objects: Infinispan
>   2. Many smaller object and few very large objects: LOS in Infinispan
>   3. Many large objects and / or file system API: GridFS
>
> OTOH, #2 could be done by creating a GridFS instance over the existing
> Infinispan cache and using it for very large objects.
>
> One could argue that instead of polluting the Infinispan API by adding
> more methods, one could resort to using GridFS, in other words: GridFS
> == LOS.
>
> Let's try to avoid duplication of functionality here

I see it as such:

* Many small objects: standard Infinispan
* Some LOs: Infinispan LO mode (which allows access to streams + chunking)
* Explicit file-system-like behaviour: GridFS

And I see GridFS being implemented on top of Infinispan LO mode - i.e., directly interfacing with the stream API.  The difference here is that GridFS becomes syntactic sugar and a java.io.File-like handle.

It's not duplication, per-se.  More like moving a few bits of code around.  For example, I see merit in moving the chunking code from the GridFile class to an Interceptor so it can be more generically useful to arbitrary streams to the cache.

Cheers
Manik