[infinispan-dev] Versioning wo/ transactions

Paolo Romano romano at inesc-id.pt
Thu Dec 8 10:10:32 EST 2011

On 12/6/11 11:46 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Re: https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/697#r272846
>
> When in place, I'd like to use the ability to provide a version externally with Hibernate in order get versions to come from Hibernate.
>
> As indicated by http://community.jboss.org/wiki/VersioningDesignDocument, this would enable other Hibernate Cache concurrency strategies to be supported which are not necessarily transactional/
I'm not an expert on Hibernate cache strategies but this seems a
relevant use case.

> So, opening the debate, would it make sense for versioning to work also with non transactional environments?
Sorry for replying with another question: are you planning to keep on
supporting both versioning and non-versioning data containers in
transactional mode?

My 2 cents are that once versioning is well tested and optimized the
code base would probably be simplified if eventually it supported only
versioning... that would also simplify our work to re-base the
transactional replication/distribution protocols that we've been
developing so far ;-)

Cheers,

     Paolo