[infinispan-dev] ISPN-863 proposal

Vladimir Blagojevic vblagoje at redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 09:57:53 EST 2011

Dave,

I applaud you for this effort and your implementation and wiki are
indeed admirable as you have followed the goals outlined in this JIRA.
However, now that I have had an opportunity to look at the final
solution I have one concern. We went through a great lengths to design a
container that has a low lock contention [1] while maintaining high
precision of a sophisticated eviction algorithm. Goals outlined in this
JIRA have lead you in a direction to redesign the original proposal. I
was wondering if it is possible to use your MemoryMonitor to make a
decision whether or not to grow BCHM rather than to check if eviction
should be done upon each put invocation? Currently we preset the size of
BCHM and we never grow it (i.e. Segment#rehash is never invoked). Maybe
this is a place where MemoryMonitor comes as a natural fit. We can keep
the current design as outlined in [1] while reaping the benefits of a
memory bound resizeable container.

WDYT?

Regards,
Vladimir

[1]
http://infinispan.blogspot.com/2010/03/infinispan-eviction-batching-updates.html

Dave said:

It took me some time to figure out how to use Git and add some more
tests. I have pushed my changes to a topic branch located at
https://github.com/dlmarion/infinispan/tree/ISPN-863-master.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I have put up
some documentation at
https://github.com/dlmarion/infinispan/wiki/ISPN-863-Implementation

-- Dave Marion