[infinispan-dev] State transfer testing

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 13:44:45 EDT 2011

On 7/19/11 7:16 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Agreed on the versioning for auto-merge. I'm just wondering weather it wouldn't make more sense, for now, not to do any (incorrect) merge as we do now, but stick with the old approach of
> migrating this responsibility to the user.

The old approach was (1) incorrect and (2) nobody ever implemented
@Merged to merge state !

(1): for example could a joiner transfer its state (null) to an existing
coordinator (not null state) !

The old approach was incorrect. The new approach still doesn't handle
merges, but at least it is consistent.

>> This is something we should discuss separately from the new rebalancing code. Note that this also applies to replication, not only distribution.

> Just a note on state transfer with replication: 5.1's state transfer (REPL) uses the rehashing code from distribution to move state around: the basic idea is that if numOwners>clusterSize,
> when a node joins you practically have state transfer.

I see you still haven't given up on your old idea... :-)

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups (http://www.jgroups.org)