[infinispan-dev] Possible Bug in Distribution Manager

Pedro Ruivo pruivo at gsd.inesc-id.pt
Wed Jun 1 12:49:06 EDT 2011

Hi,

My name is Pedro and I am working in CloudTM project.

I think that I may have encountered a possible bug in the consistent
hash function.

I am working on Infinispan 'Pagoa' 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT with JGroups 3.0.0
Alpha1 and I have a total of 100 000 keys distributed by 11 nodes.

I am using Radargun, that was modified to execute the maximum number of
transactions in a 5 minutes run. All transactions updates at least one
key, ie, I didn't have read-only transactions.

At the end of the test,  I am printing all the keys and their location
(keys' owners), and, as you can see for instance here [1], different
nodes have different opinions concerning which replicas are in charge of
storing some keys.

Note that I didn't change anything in the distribution code and my tests
only update keys, never delete them.

Part of the log can be found in [2] and the config file is in [3]. In
the log file we have a lot of 'WARN  [DistLockingInterceptor] xxx entry
commit warmup_key(...) =>  Thread(...)'. Ignore this entries.

Unfortunately, the problem does not always show up, in my tests this
shows up, say, 5% of the times.

Did this ever happen to you, or am I hitting a known issue?

I hope that the information that I am providing can be sufficient to
reproduce the bug, let me know if there is anything else that I can do
to help....

Cheers
Pedro

[1] - http://pastebin.com/Pp47ctj9