[infinispan-dev] weekly questions

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Wed Jun 1 12:38:40 EDT 2011

Agreed: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1146

> - aquiring locks in defined (e.g. HC) order is kind of obvious and I'm surprised it's not default behaviour.
It is the default behaviour indeed. We are considering an option to reorder lock acquisition in order to avoid deadlocks[1]. Enablable through a configuration.
> It probably should be as soon as the implementation is stable.  Additionally, rather than making consecutive RPCs to a node for each of the keys it owns, why not locally walk the full set of objects in the tx first and batch them by owning node, then make one call to each node with the whole batch of lock requests?
The futures[2] API does something similar, but not quite that though. Interesting optimisation for the Future API.

> - I'm rather suspicions of any discussion that includes phrases like 'it will have to rollback its running transactions'.
> A node in an XA transaction that has already prepared CAN'T rollback, the protocol does not allow it.
yes, totally agree. And since 5.0 we don't do that anymore.

[1] http://community.jboss.org/wiki/PossibleLockingImprovements, see section #3.
[2] http://community.jboss.org/wiki/AsynchronousAPI