[infinispan-dev] Partial state transfer in Infinispan

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 09:51:49 EDT 2011

On 6/17/11 2:49 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Now this might sound a bit too radical but do we really need REPLICATED mode?
> This is not fully brewed, but if e.g. we set numOwners = Integer.MAX_INTEGER the cluster is effectively in replicated mode, so can't we just drop the REPLICATION entirely? This would reduce the code size significantly...

This is not the same as replicated mode. With numOwners > cluster size
N, we send N unicasts for updates. This is inefficient, a multicast is
much better here. Also, for gets, we pick a node, which might not be the
local node, whereas in replicated mode, we always pick the local node.

Plus, we'd have to de-activate the entire rebalancing code, as it's not
needed in replicated mode.

One thought though is to see if we should (internally) switch to
replicated mode if numOwners > cluster size. A bit dangerous though
because if this condition changes (e.g. more nodes are addded), we'd
have to switch back...

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team