[infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Mar 2 05:29:11 EST 2011

Great! If you are a Spring guy (or even if not!), you could implement

	http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/index.html?org/springframework/cache/CacheManager.html

using Infinispan, and contribute it back to Spring ... we'd really appreciate that and it would be a great start for you to get used to working with Infinispan.  :-)

Then, perhaps something more meaty like:

	https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78

might be fun... or if you like Linux/C/JNI:

	https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-517

Otherwise, do any of these look interesting to you?

	https://issues.jboss.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313236

Cheers
Manik

On 1 Mar 2011, at 20:01, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Hi Manik,
>
> well, my areas of expertise are probably irrelevant in this context. I
> chose Infinispan primarily as an opportunity to learn while working on a
> fascinating project that addresses some of the pain points in today's
> application development.
>
> As to my areas of interest: I do indeed find transaction management
> fascinating, that's why I was looking for an easy task in that area. But
> all in all, I'm interested in the whole distributed computing thing. I
> read the Dynamo paper, so I understand constant hash rings at least on a
> theoretical level.
>
> Otherwise, I thought there might be some mundane tasks nobody else is
> especially keen on taking on as they are probably not very interesting.
> Improving logging comes to mind, maybe adding some documentation.
> Technically not very demanding and yet those tasks need to be done. Plus
> they might be an opportunity to get to know the code base.
>
> All in all I'm open to suggestions.
>
> Cheers
> Olaf
>
> Am 01.03.11 18:32, schrieb Manik Surtani:
>> Hi Olaf
>>
>> Welcome to the mail list!  :-)
>>
>> I believe someone (Mircea) is already working on ISPN-272 as we speak, but there are lots of other interesting things you can take on.  Are there any specific areas of interest or expertise you may have?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Manik
>>
>> On 1 Mar 2011, at 14:14, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>>
>>> I've been quietly following Infinispan's progress and finally made the
>>> decision to offer to help out. Since I'm not an experienced system-level
>>> programmer - I've got a strong background in JEE application development
>>> - I was looking for a not too complex task to start with. I took a look
>>> at ISPN-272 "Implement XA recovery in TransactionXaAdapter" and if I
>>> interpret Manik Surtani's comments correctly it all boils down to
>>> essentially:
>>>
>>> * Make it so that Xid[] recover(int flags) returns the Xids of the
>>> LocalTransactions managed by this TransactionXaAdapter that are
>>> currently in state 'PREPARED'
>>>
>>> Is this correct? If so I thought about
>>>
>>> 1. adding a method Set<LocalTransaction>
>>> getLocalTransactionsCurrentlyInStatus(int desiredStatus) to
>>> TransactionTable, and
>>> 2. having recover(int flags) on TransactionXaAdapter delegate to this
>>> new method, passing in Status.STATUS_PREPARED.
>>>
>>> So:
>>>
>>> 1. Could you use my help?
>>> 2. Is ISPN-272 a good starting point, or are there better tasks for a
>>> newcomer?
>>> 3. If ISPN-272 is good starting point, is my proposed solution viable,
>>> or is it lacking?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Olaf