[infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Olaf Bergner olaf.bergner at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 08:02:01 EST 2011

Thanks for the tips. As to contributing this back to Spring, however, I found this on the blog linked to in ISPN-961:

[quote]
What about [xx] library – when will it be supported ?

For the moment we do not plan to support other caching libraries inside Spring Framework simply because of the sheer number of options out there, the dependency impact (many are bigger in size than the cache abstraction), and the maintenance and licensing issues. To plug-in a custom cache provider, we encourage developers to look at the caching SPI package and its two interfaces: CacheManager and Cache. Besides the implementations available out of the box, one can look at the GemFire implementation, scheduled for the next major release version of Spring GemFire.
[/quote]

Judging from this alone - I still haven't received any reaction to my request in the Spring community forums - it seems unlikely that the folks over at Spring will accept our code as a part of Springframework proper.

So I suggest that we introduce a new module - what about "spring" - in Infinispan, alongside "client" and so forth. An alternative would be to try to make this part of the Spring Modules project. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Olaf

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:12:00 +0100
> Von: "Galder Zamarreño" <galder at redhat.com>
> An: infinispan -Dev List <infinispan-dev at lists.jboss.org>
> Betreff: Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

> On Mar 2, 2011, at 11:26 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding from what Manik said that we would like to have
> > this CacheManager implementation being a part of the standard Spring
> > distribution. Is that correct? Therefore, I have asked in the
> > SpringSource forum
> >
> > 1. if those folks are interested in having an Infinispan backed
> > CacheManager implementation contributed to them and
> > 2. if so, what I have to do to have my contribution accepted.
> >
> > So far, I have not received an answer to my request. I'm a bit
> > sceptical, though, since it *seems* as if the Spring folks only accept
> > dependencies from their own Enterprise Bundle Repository which would
> > leave us obliged to turn Infinispan into an OSGi bundle. Alternatively,
> > we could always make it a part of Infinispan itself, maybe separated
> > into its own module. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Luca Stancapiano has been working on creating an OSGI bundle for
> Infinispan - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-800
>
> You might wanna ping him to see how's he progressing? Or Luca, if you're
> reading the list you could share some status with us :)
>
> > Meanwhile, the implementation thus far seems to progress nicely, a first
> > test passes. I'm developing against Infinispan 4.2.0.Final, the current
> > stable version. For the time being I concentrate on supporting the
> > embedded use case, although I'm aware that there is RemoteCache and its
> > ilk. I would prefer to finally have two different implementations of
> > org.springframework.cache.CacheManager, one backed by
> > EmbeddedCacheManager and the other by RemoteCacheManager. Those two seem
> > different enough to render any attempt at implementing a common
> > abstraction futile. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Two different implementations makes sense, they have different
> requirements.
>
> > In addition to the Infinispan backed CacheManager I implemented two
> > FactoryBeans for creating org.infinispan.Cache and
> > org.infinispan.manager.EmbeddedCacheManager instances. At least a
> > FactoryBean for the latter seems necessary since otherwise users will
> > have a hard time trying to obtain an Infinispan backed CacheManager from
> > their application context.
> >
> > Right now, all configuration is done by pointing those FactoryBeans to
> > the location of a configuration file in the standard Infinispan format.
> > The Spring way to go would be to alternatively offer setters for all
> > configuration options. However, org.infinispan.config.Configuration is
> > quite ... expansive. Are there any prominent options I should
> > concentrate on first?
>
> Things like JMX switches, clustering modes and locking settings are some
> of the things that are tweaked most often, so you'd want to start with those
> IMO.

> [...]

Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar