[infinispan-dev] locking optimisations reloaded

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed May 25 04:12:20 EDT 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 11:36 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is re: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/PossibleLockingImprovements
>
> I've created JIRAs for the locking optimisations as follows:
>
> #1: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1131

For #1, how do you handle this case? (both threads on same node)

1. Thread-1: does a transactional write on key=K1, value=A
2. Thread-2: non-transactional write on key=K1, value=B // not a problem since Thread-1 has not yet acquired WL
3. Thread-1: prepares, acquires a WL on K1, an overrides key=K1 to contain value=A ?

Since Thread-1 does not acquire WL on the write, concurrent non-transactional writes could be lost, couldn't they?

> #2: this seems to be just a particular case of #4
> #3: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1132
> #4: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1137
> #5: I think this is pretty much the same thing as #4, waiting for Sanne to confirm that.
>
> Each JIRA also contains the design I have in mind for implementing them.
> I do think this will improve the transactional throughput *significantly*, so any feedback much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Mircea

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache