[infinispan-dev] Contributing to Infinispan: API, Commons, Core

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Nov 3 07:11:02 EDT 2011

On 3 Nov 2011, at 07:37, Tristan Tarrant wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> here are the paragraphs I want to add to the "Contributing to Infinispan" page in relation to the API, Commons, Core split. Comment please on clarity, grammar, spelling, etc
>
> API, Commons, Core
>
> In order to provide proper separation between public APIs, common utilities and the actual implementation of Infinispan, these are split into 3 modules: infinispan-api, infinispan-commons and infinispan-core. This separation also makes sure that modules, such as the remote clients, don't have to depend on infinispan-core and its transitive dependencies. The following paragraphs describe the role of each of these modules and give indication as to what goes where.
>
> API
>
> The infinispan-api module should only contain the public interfaces which can be used in any context (local, remote, etc). Ideally it should not contain any concrete classes, however this rule can be relaxed for small, self-contained classes which need to be referenced from the API interfaces. When promoting interfaces from infinispan-core to infinispan-api, please bear in mind the type of functionality that is being exposed: if something only makes sense for local mode and not for remote mode (e.g. eviction), then it should remain in infinispan-core.

Perhaps "Interfaces only.  Concrete classes on a case-by-case basis, treated as exceptions, and only after discussion on this list.".  Actually, *anything* that goes in this module should be only after discussion on this list.  :-)

> Commons
>
> The infinispan-commons module contains utility classes which can be reused across other modules. Classes in infinispan-commons should be     self-contained and not pull in unnecessary dependencies. They should also make no reference to configuration aspects specific to a particular environment.

Does commons have any dependencies (apart from logging, maybe) at all?

manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani