[infinispan-dev] Infinispan CLI

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 03:09:19 EDT 2011

On 10/13/2011 11:42 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Brilliant! and as you suggested yourself, we could reuse the same
> channel that jconsole and other agents use so it wouldn't be an extra
> port but one which syadmins have to think about anyway (especially
> when locking down the system)
>
> Sanne
>
> On 13 October 2011 20:30, Dan Berindei<dan.berindei at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> It would be cool if the CLI could connect to any cache, even without
>> HotRod, like jconsole can connect to any running JVM.
>> But I'm not sure how you could do it without asking the users to
>> manage yet another port...
You are speaking about JMX remoting :)
And please forget about the old crufty jconsole: jvisualvm is so much
more (you need to add the mbeans plugin).

Indeed we should not rely on any particular protocol being exposed by
the cache (they may just be local for instance). The administrative
commands should all go via JMX (adding admin capabilities to HotRod
would be a pointless exercise and expose ourselves to insecurities of
all kinds). It would be cool and useful though if the data manipulation
(CRUD, Query, etc) however could go via a user-defined transport
(HotRod, Memcached, REST, JMX), like ispncon does now. This would allow
the sysadmin to verify that their tranposrt of choice is actually working.

Unfortunately the fact that we need to use JMX means that we will have
to abandon Python for Java (or use Jython as I wrote before).

I don't see the requirement for java for the admin tool as particularly
restrictive: Oracle requires that you install the full OCI client
library, Cassandra's CLI is Java, and, if we look closer to home, AS7's
CLI is Java too.

Tristan