[infinispan-dev] FineGrainedAtomicMap - remaining items

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 04:13:04 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Vladimir Blagojevic
<vblagoje at redhat.com> wrote:
> After Mircea's thorough review and advice from him and Sanne we are
> almost ready to integrate FineGrainedAtomicMap. I say almost because
> Sanne, Mircea and I concluded that two questions remain unanswered.
>
> 1) Should we stick fine-grained functionality under current AtomicMap
> and discard legacy AtomicMap? FineGrainedAtomicMap seems to offer a
> super-set of AtomicMap features and we should not confuse users with yet
> another AtomicMap; at the same time we have less headache maintaining
> AtomicMap codebase.

How's the performance of the fine grained AtomicMap compared to the old one?
If the performance is identical then I see no reason to keep the old
one around, otherwise we already have problems keeping up with the
performance of JBossCache 1.4 (see
http://community.jboss.org/message/630238) so I would keep the old one
around.

> 2) This one is a bit technical. What should we do if tx1 deletes entire
> AtomicMap while tx2 updates entries in the same Map. Should we create a
> new Map and apply deltas to a new fresh map *or* simply discard delta
> changes because entire Map has been deleted?

I would say not simply discard the changes, but throw an exception and
roll back tx2 as well.

Cheers
Dan