[infinispan-dev] JBoss Logging upgrade breaking build

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Sun Oct 23 14:59:26 EDT 2011

On 10/23/2011 03:20 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This JBoss Logging upgrade is rather annoying for a couple of
> reasons:
>
> 1. IDE integration is broken: Before we had a JBoss Logging Processor
> as some dependency that allowed the logging processor to be found in
> the classpath. Now this is no longer in the classpath, so IntelliJ
> forces you to point to a jar. However, the new processing jar is
> split between two jars:
> ./jboss-logging-processor/1.0.0.CR3/jboss-logging-processor-1.0.0.CR3.jar
> and
> ./jboss-logging-generator/1.0.0.CR3/jboss-logging-generator-1.0.0.CR3.jar
> - And the generation won't work without both jars being pointed by
> the annotation processor. David, why did you split these jars?

We split the JARs at the request of the Seam Solder project who wanted
to reuse the generator.  It should however still work just fine if you
add both JARs as "provided" dependencies; I haven't had a problem here,
even with IDEA.

James and I have been discussing the ultimate wisdom of this strategy
though.  We might consider re-merging the JARs if it proves to cause
insurmountable issues (they aren't getting *that* much value from our
code, really).  But I'm really surprised this is turning out to be a
serious issue.

> 2. It breaks our build, see
> https://infinispan.ci.cloudbees.com/job/Infinispan-master-JDK6-tcp/268/org.infinispan$infinispan-query/console
> - What are these errors about? And why is it an info it breaks the
> compilation? :) [INFO] diagnostic error: All message bundles and
> message logger messageMethods must have or inherit a message.

I've never seen this before.  Maybe this error is a result of extending
the other message bundle interface, that isn't in the same artifact?
We'll see about putting in some more tests for this case.

> What is wrong with
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/query/src/main/java/org/infinispan/query/logging/Log.java
> ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> p.s. We can we please test these upgrades throughfully before
> committing them? Thx :)

Of course we test, but of course things can be missed.  In particular
I've integrated the new version with several projects without any issues.

--
- DML