[infinispan-dev] JBoss Logging upgrade breaking build

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 02:28:40 EDT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 8:59 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> On 10/23/2011 03:20 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This JBoss Logging upgrade is rather annoying for a couple of
>> reasons:
>>
>> 1. IDE integration is broken: Before we had a JBoss Logging Processor
>> as some dependency that allowed the logging processor to be found in
>> the classpath. Now this is no longer in the classpath, so IntelliJ
>> forces you to point to a jar. However, the new processing jar is
>> split between two jars:
>> ./jboss-logging-processor/1.0.0.CR3/jboss-logging-processor-1.0.0.CR3.jar
>> and
>> ./jboss-logging-generator/1.0.0.CR3/jboss-logging-generator-1.0.0.CR3.jar
>> - And the generation won't work without both jars being pointed by
>> the annotation processor. David, why did you split these jars?
>
> We split the JARs at the request of the Seam Solder project who wanted
> to reuse the generator.  It should however still work just fine if you
> add both JARs as "provided" dependencies; I haven't had a problem here,
> even with IDEA.
>
> James and I have been discussing the ultimate wisdom of this strategy
> though.  We might consider re-merging the JARs if it proves to cause
> insurmountable issues (they aren't getting *that* much value from our
> code, really).  But I'm really surprised this is turning out to be a
> serious issue.

Sure, that was my intention as well, having a provided dependency or similar and let IDEA discover the processor automatically, but apparently Sanne says that this causes issues since annotation processor discovery is broken.

Precisely. https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/query/src/main/java/org/infinispan/query/logging/Log.java extends https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/util/logging/Log.java

> We'll see about putting in some more tests for this case.
>
>> What is wrong with
>> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/query/src/main/java/org/infinispan/query/logging/Log.java
>> ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> p.s. We can we please test these upgrades throughfully before
>> committing them? Thx :)
>
> Of course we test, but of course things can be missed.  In particular
> I've integrated the new version with several projects without any issues.
>
> --
> - DML

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache