[infinispan-dev] Asymmetric caches and manual rehashing design

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 05:59:20 EDT 2011

My 5 cents:

Virtual Cache Views:
================

- The REQUEST_VIEW_UPDATE is a good idea to manually trigger flushing of
pending views. However, I'm not sure what the goal of
DISABLE_VIEW_UPDATES is. Since I assume this is for the entire cluster,
can 1 member disable view delivery for the entire cluster ? What
scenario is this for ?

- Are you clubbing (virtual) view updates and rebalancing together ? And
if so (I should probably read on first...), can't you have view
installations *without* rebalancing ?

- Do we need the complex PREPARE_VIEW / ROLLBACK_VIEW / COMMIT_VIEW 2PC
handling ? This adds a lot of complexity. Is it only used when we have a
transactional cache ?

- State is to be transferred *within* this 2PC time frame. Hmm, again,
this ties rebalancing and view installation together (see my argument
above)...

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups (http://www.jgroups.org)