[infinispan-dev] Asymmetric caches and manual rehashing design

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 09:01:40 EDT 2011

Hi Bela

After writing my reply I realized there is a small problem with my argument:

> In order to do it deterministically we need to have a common "last
> good consistent hash" for the last rebalance that finished
> successfully, and each node must determine if it should push a key or
> not based on that last good CH.

If there was a merge, the nodes in each partition have different ideas
of what their old view was, so it's not possible to have a common
"last good CH" for the entire cluster unless we pick the coordinator's
view as the "winner" and discard everything in the loser partition.

We will have instead a last good CH for each partition, and each node
will determine whether to push a key or not based on the CH of its
partition and the CH of the united cluster.

Cheers
Dan