[infinispan-dev] How the remote fetching for GET works in DIST mode

Michal Linhard mlinhard at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 18:52:52 EDT 2012

Maybe this is an ancient topic discussed, ages ago somewhere, but if
there's a quick answer, please save me from searching through tons of
archives.

Let's have a DIST mode cache.

When we're doing a memcached/REST tests where for each request there's
cca numOwners/numNodes probability that we'll hit the owner,
in numNodes=4, numOwners=2 this means cca every second request needs a
remote fetch (assume no L1 cache)

I'm just looking at the DistributionManagerImpl.retrieveFromRemoteSource
and trying understand how it works.

Does it really cause 2 more GET request processing in the cluster ?
OK even when we're assuming serving a GET request should be quick, I'd
like to see how it would perform if we only allowed getting from the
first owner.
I guess right now we don't allow configuring this. Are there any catches
with this ?

m.

--
Michal Linhard
Quality Assurance Engineer

Red Hat Czech s.r.o.
Purkynova 99 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic
phone: +420 532 294 320 ext. 62320
mobile: +420 728 626 363