[infinispan-dev] again: "no physical address"

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Feb 1 12:12:02 EST 2012

On 1 February 2012 16:40, Bela Ban <bban at redhat.com> wrote:
> Your benchmark is giving me the creeps !

Manik was the original author, I've only been adapting it slightly to
identify performance issues. I wouldn't have used Maven either, but
it's serving me well especially since it turns out I have to
frequently change JGroups version ;-)

> First, which version of JGroups / Infinispan does this use ? Second, is
> there a way to start this in an IDE rather than through maven ? Third, I
> don't think bench-jgroups.xml is picked up at all ! How do I make a change
> to bench-jgroups.xml and have Transactional *use* it ?

1) The intention is to compare Infinispan versions, and see how we
make progress, so the JGroups version is defined as each different
Infinispan version was released with, or in case of a SNAPSHOT the
version it's currently using.

So, assuming you have a fresh snapshot of Infinispan 5.1.0-SNAPSHOT,
it's JGroups 3.0.4.Final

2) As I pointed out in the previous mail, I've reconfigured it for you
to not pick up the bench-jgroups.xml but go with Infinispan's default
UDP configuration.
You have to comment line 15 of bench.sh to use the bench-jgroups.xml,
but then I can't reproduce the issue anymore.

> This maven crap hides so much, I never know what's going on under the covers
> !@$@ Do I have to do mvn install or mvn package when I make a change to
> bench-jgroups.xml ?

Aren't you using bench.sh as I pointed out in the script in my
previous mail? It does mvn install before running it.
But it's also configured to NOT use bench-jgroups.xml, but rather
jgroups-udp.xml.

> I don't think I'll ever switch to this f*cking piece of shit !

I don't think Maven is to be blamed today! What's wrong?

Anyway one of the nice things of this little benchmark is exactly that
it it's a single class with a main file, so you can just import it in
you IDE and run. Any IDE will pick the correct dependencies, thanks to
Maven. Just that if you do, it will use the default test properties as
hardcoded in the test class org.infinispan.benchmark.Transactional:
please set the same environment variable as bench.sh does, unless you
don't want to run my same configuration.

Just ping me for any doubt.

Cheers,
Sanne