[infinispan-dev] Use cases for x-datacenter replication

Erik Salter an1310 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:07:37 EST 2012

Hi all,

Since I'm deploying my applications into 3 data centers, I commented at the
wiki site.  Since the bulk of the discussion seems to be here, I'll offer
some additional thoughts.

- First and foremost, I have three data centers (JGRP-1313).  All of my data
centers follow a model where the data is partitioned between them with
geographic failover.
- These data centers have about 50-70 ms latency (RTT) between them.  That
means I (and the customer) can live with synchronous replication for the
time being, especially for the transactional scenario.  In fact, in one of
my cache use cases, this is almost required.
- In the current state transfer model, a node joining means that all the
nodes from all the sites are involved in rehashing.  The rehash operation
should be enhanced in this case to prefer using the local nodes as state
providers.  I know that this cannot be necessarily guaranteed, as a loss of
multiple nodes at a site might mean the state only exists on another data
center.  But for a minimum of 10M records, I can't afford the existing
limitations on state transfer.  (And it goes without saying the NBST is an
absolute must)
- I will need a custom consistent hash that is data center-aware that can
group keys into a local site.  All of my data is site-specific.
- I mentioned a +1 model for local key ownership on the wiki,  Taking that a
step further, has there been any thought to a quorum model?  Here's what I'm
concerned about.  Most of the time, a data center won't fail -- rather
there'll be some intermittent packet loss between the two.  If I have 2
owners on the key's local data center and 1 each on the backup sites, I may
not want to rehash if I can't reach a data center.  I can understand if a
prepared tx fails -- those I can retry in application code.

I'm sure I'll have more =)

Erik