[infinispan-dev] X-S replication configuration

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 03:10:14 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Mircea Markus <mircea.markus at jboss.com>wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2012, at 18:28, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
> Firstly, we should strive to be consistent with how our XML configuration
> works, so IMO, boo-moo should be booMoo (I'm talking about backup-strategy
> here).
>
> +1
>

> Now, I'm confused with the global settings. What backupStrategy should
> define is how to communicate with the other site, i.e. if you wanna use a
> different bind address, different transport protocol…etc. This is the same
> that we do with the global transport settings. We don't define whether
> backup (or in clustering, replication or invalidation..etc, is sync or
> async) is sync or async at this level. This configuration, sync/async,
> belongs to the cache level IMO.
>
> gotcha
> Indeed that's why we have the default cache for: all the other caches can
> inherit the defaults from there.
>

> Does it make sense to have/define a site without the transport that you're
> gonna use to configure with it? You could potentially have N different
> networks to connect to N sites. If you assume the default, which default is
> it?
>
> The actual transport is configured at jgroups level in RELAY2 and the
> matching between ISPN and jgroups is made based on the name of the site.
>

> Line 31, what about this config instead?
>
> <syncBackup name="NYC"/>
>
> You could still have <backup> for when you want to use default mode as per
> the cache. So, you'd have: backup, syncBackup, asyncBackup.
>
> That feels a bit like mixing the attribute with the element, but that's
> I guess it's more a matter of taste, but I rather stick with simple backup
>  - any other oppinions?
>

> And line 25: <backups> instead of <sites>
>

> Thanks for the excellent feedback! I've updated the document and added
> some more examples:  https://gist.github.com/3059621

I had the impression that you wanted all the sites to use the same ISPN
configuration, is that still true?

After seeing the use of a property to name the local site I thought there
would be only one config, but then below there doesn't seem to be any way
of defining the backup strategy for SFO or NYC.