[infinispan-dev] Let's stop with pull requests

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed May 30 08:28:04 EDT 2012

On 30 May 2012 13:24, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:

> On 30 May 2012, at 13:00, Dan Berindei wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:
>>> I pretty much agree with this; and here's a bit of history.
>>>
>>> For the large part we have had a stable test suite, but the occasional unpredictability in the suite came in when we introduced the parallel test runner, to allow us to run the (core) suite in under 5 minutes - a suite which otherwise took over 2 hours when run sequentially.
>>>
>>> We could revert back to just using the sequential test runner if people prefer that - it makes the suite run more predictably and hence easier to debug and maintain - but the drawback is, well, it takes 2 hours to run.
>>>
>>> Perhaps we should use the parallel suite as a "smoke test", but in the event of any failures, revert to a run using the sequential suite?
>>>

>> -1, a smoke test should be something that is not only faster but
>> always passes, so we could run that on each pull req. Getting a FAIL
>> from buildhive on each pull request would get tiring real quick.
>
> Agreed.  I know I have asked for this before, could we please try one more time, to identify *all* tests that are known to periodically fail?  I know the parallel suite doesn't affect *all* tests in the same way.

+1000 let's open an issue for each test that fails, even if it fails
occasionally. If it can't be fixed, the test is doing more harm than
any good and should be either redesigned or removed.

Let's hope the Spring and CDI failures can be grouped however.. sorry
I'll resume my hacks on the Spring module today, but hope someone else
can take care of CDI and the others. Ideally we should appoint
individuals responsible for each module, so to divide this task.

Cheers,
Sanne