[infinispan-dev] public API/what should be preserve between minor releases?

Thomas Fromm tf at tfromm.com
Wed Nov 21 12:20:40 EST 2012

On 21.11.2012 18:02, Mircea Markus wrote:

> This is still accessible through
> cache.getAdvancedCache().getRpcManager(), so it still counts as public
> API. I doubt that any user is using that method directly, but OTOH
> it's public so who knows.
> What do people think? Shall we be strict with regard to such 'obscure'
> methods between minor releases?

1) As seen from a user who uses infinispan in development: When I update
ISPN, I rebuild our project anyway and start tests and so on. So API
changes becomes visible very early.
(And then the major work is finding the replacement for the removed
method ;-) Roll out lib updates untested? Never.

2) As seen from a user, who uses infinispan at runtime: In this case
infinispan would come within another project which has dependency to
infinispan. In this case I'd avoid (if possible) update infinispan on my
own. Roll out lib updates untested? Never.

As you see, IMHO such API changes do not have much effect in normal
situations. I can imagine only problems, when the changed methods are
used within dist exec calls and there are (during update or whatever)
different versions of infinispan inside the cluster.