[infinispan-dev] public API/what should be preserve between minor releases?

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Thu Nov 22 08:44:39 EST 2012

Hi Tomas,
On 22 Nov 2012, at 08:46, Tomas Sykora wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> is this topic related?
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/RollingUpgradesInInfinispan
Indirectly: in the case of rolling upgrades existing clients still need to be able to operate with new versions, which require an API compatibility.

> I'd assume that *whole* cluster will be upgraded to some higher version. Running cluster with different versions seems risky to me too. This ^^ process should be smooth but I don't know how about changes in API.
>
> I'm very interested in this topic - that's the reason why I jumped in to your discussion.
Very interesting topic indeed. 5.2 brings support for rolling upgrades, but the way we do it is not by allowing 5.1 and 5.2 nodes to coexist in the same cluster, but by  creating a new 5.2 cluster and migrating both state and clients from the 5.1 clients to it.

> Thank you!

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)