[infinispan-dev] Failover and state of Callable in dist.exec

Vladimir Blagojevic vblagoje at redhat.com
Thu Nov 22 11:30:07 EST 2012

Hey guys,

As Anna and I were working on failover tests we discovered one
peculiarity - state of Callable is not preserved as we send it to
various nodes for execution. I am not 100% this is important but it
might be for some clients. As things stand right now we always failover
to different nodes from master node. Every time Callables fails the call
unwinds immediately back to originating node and originating node sends
callable to another node. Fairly straight forward and expected. However,
for repeated executions, we send fresh "originating" copy of Callable,
in virgin state as it was submitted to dist.exec to begin with. In order
to preserve state we would have to serialize back state from failed node
and use that Callable state instead of virgin copy.

What do you think? Is this state preservation a deal breaker? Or should
we postpone it for next release?

Regards,
Vladimir