[infinispan-dev] RAC: Reliable Asynchronous Clustering

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 04:22:24 EDT 2012

On 10/11/12 9:17 PM, Erik Salter wrote:
> Hi Bela,
>
> I think the concept of memory as stable storage is a good one, except we
> will also need to account for virtualized nodes.  For instance, we'd want
> updaters {A,B,C} to be on separate machines, if possible, and the ranking
> process of new views should also account for the physical machine they're
> on.  This way we could lose entire machines and still know what keys to
> update.

Yes, this could be done by externalizing the algorithm which picks the
updaters. As you mentioned, this is essentially a consistent hash over
the view, yes.

BTW: I've added a section on how to deal with concurrent updates to the
same keys in different sites (IIRC this is an issue you might be
having). I discussed my proposal with Mircea in Munich; we ran through a
few scenarios and we think this'll work. Comments are welcome.

Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)