[infinispan-dev] TOB/TOA integration

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:30:05 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Pedro Ruivo <pruivo at gsd.inesc-id.pt>wrote:

>  Hi Adrian,
>
> Thank you for the work =). Please see inline some comments.
>
> Cheers,
> Pedro
>

> On 24-09-2012 09:35, Adrian Nistor wrote:
>
> Hi Paolo,
>
> the pending transactions were indeed a problem but this was solved by
> issues ISPN-2306 [1] and ISPN-2312 [2].
>
> Regarding point 1.5, this was implemented in
> StateConsumerImpl.applyTransactions(..) and
> StatePorviderImpl.getTransactionsForSegments(..). There was indeed a
> missing piece that was corrected by ISPN-2306 (the lookedupEntries field
> was not populated for transferred transactions, this is solved by
> re-executing prepare on the new node).
>
> ISPN-2312 also solves an issue with acquiring locks by these transferred
> transactions, now we should be ok.
>
> Regarding point 1.7, if the data is not available yet on a new owner the
> write skew check will not detect any issue on this node indeed but the
> check will fail on the other owners and cause a rollback on all nodes
> anyway, so we should be safe here.
>
> I'm not sure if this works fine when the number of owners is equals to 1.
> Isn't it possible a node send the prepapre right after the Rebalance_Start
> to the joiner (the new owner)? If the joiner does not have the data, it
> cannot perform a true write skew check. Am I missing something?

When we start the rebalance, we always keep the previous owner. So the
joiner becomes a backup owner, but the previous owner is still the primary
owner until the rebalance is done (which would guarantee the joiner has the
data).

We can't do the write skew check if the previous owner left, but then it
was the only owner so we don't have any other copy of the data in the
cluster in order to perform the write skew check.