[infinispan-dev] manual eviction and indexing

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Dec 18 10:40:30 EST 2013

On 11 December 2013 15:08, Adrian Nistor <anistor at redhat.com> wrote:
> I Agree. If  indexing + (automatic) eviction + no cachestore is currently
> allowed, then we should add a jira to add this config validation.
>
> But what about manual eviction? Would it make sense to handle it the way I
> did?

Generally speaking I think you're on the right direction, but I'm not
sure how solid it is to rely on a "boolean usingStores" field.

Flag usage would make it more complex, but ok let's forget about
people trying to shoot themselves as that's hopeless.

Flags aside, we also have the case of CacheStore instances being added
on the fly (not sure if that was ever implemented, but for sure there
where good reasons and we opened JIRAs to make it possible), and we
have the quite common scenario in which a CacheStore is implemented as
"selective", i.e. it only stores a specific kind of types. For example
the JPACacheStore and the Lucene Directory Cachestore themselves.. the
latter only persists elements it recognizes as lucene index segments,
and it's useful for people who want to store the indexed data and the
index itself in the same cache.
Trying to check what kind of CacheStore you have is also a slippery
slope as you could have multiple chained ones.

Generally speaking I don't think it makes sense to use manual eviction
to get the effect of a remove, if you have your data indexed and there
is a cachestore. In such cases an eviction is not removing data, so it
should not cleanup any index. If the user wants to remove data, he
should use the remove method.

Should we add a configuration attribute to the indexing element, to
allow for "remove on eviction" ?
I hate adding more configuration elements, but I think making this
behavior explicitly defined is the least confusing option. Principle
of least astonishment.

Sanne