[infinispan-dev] scala code in Infinispan

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 06:45:26 EST 2013

Hi,

The REST module is written in Scala (both main + tests). We have some *test* contributions written in Java (thanks  mlinhard).
There was an IRC discussion on whether it's worth migrating the Java contribution to Scala code or not.

Pros for migrating the contribution from Java to Scala:
- the REST module is written in Scala. Contributing these tests in Java would make the module bi-lingual, potentially confusing future contributors
- even though this is not the case with this particular contribution, there might be code duplications between the scala test suite and java test suite.

Cons for migrating the contribution from Java to Scala:
- there are contributors that are not familiar with Scala or are more proficient with Java(such as mlinhard). Forcing them to contribute in a language they are not familiar with would put them off
- my general feeling over time was that people (including me) are not very enthusiastic about debugging and extending Scala code. So IMO if there's a choice between scala and java  (in the scope of the scala modules) we should stick to Java wherever possible (such as this contribution).

This email is not about the migration of scala code to java, but about the very specific contribution described above (even thought the mix of scala+java code in ISPN is a a very interesting topic by itself).

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)