[infinispan-dev] New bundler performance

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 10:38:31 EDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 09:30 AM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2013, at 14:16, Bela Ban <bban at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On 06/12/2013 04:54 AM, Radim Vansa wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was going through the commits (running tests on each of them) to
>>> seek the performance regression we've recently discovered and it
>>> seems that our test (replicated udp non-transactional stress test on
>>> 4 nodes) experiences a serious regression on the commit
>>>
>>> ISPN-2848 Use the new bundling mechanism from JGroups 3.3.0
>>> (73da108cdcf9db4f3edbcd6dbda6938d6e45d148)
>>>
>>> The performance drops from about 7800 writes/s to 4800 writes/s, and
>>> from 1.5M reads/s to 1.2M reads/s (having slower reads in replicated
>>> mode is really odd).
>>

>> Is this using sync or async replication ?
>>
>> You could set UDP.bundler_type="old" to see if the old bundler makes a
>> difference.
> Right now we've removed the DONT_BUNDLE flag for the sync calls, so putting the old bundler in place would require some code changes.
> Is there anything wrong with using DONT_BUNDLE on the sync calls with the new bundler? I'm thinking we should support both for now, as the new bundling needs to prove itself still.

I think we should treat this as a bug and I'll look into this, but I
won't have much time until after JBW. If you want to write code that can
handle both old and new bundler, that would be good, although that code
should be removed after the bug has been fixed.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team