[infinispan-dev] commit not failing but transaction reported as in-doubt

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Thu May 16 11:50:58 EDT 2013

I think we're discussing about two different things here.

My question was a general one: what if an XAResouce ack the commit to the TransactionManager and then the Recovery Process (TM-side process independent of Infinispan) determines that the given transaction is in doubt. As per Jonathan's email the TM doesn't handle this well.

In our case with async commit the scenario above is possible when the node crashes after ack the commit to the TM and before broadcasting the CommitCommand. So we simply shouldn't support async commit when the users want recovery.

HTH

On 16 May 2013, at 10:32, Dan Berindei <dan.berindei at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mircea, I think I'm missing something here. Why would the originator send a TxCompletionNotificationCommand at all if the commit command was asynchronous?
>
> I don't think recovery should require the originator to send a TxCompletionNotificationCommand.
> Our commit commands can't fail anyway, so the only way for a transaction to become in-doubt would be if the cache crashed before sending the command. (Or maybe if another resource's commit phase failed.)

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)