[infinispan-dev] Design of Remote Hot Rod events

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 08:15:12 EST 2013

On 11/19/2013 02:01 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> On Tue 2013-11-19 12:23, Radim Vansa wrote:
>> On 11/19/2013 09:48 AM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>>> I wish the design document was showing how we can achieve a general
>>> purpose remote listener approach but have a step 1 that is only
>>> targeting a restricted set of listeners if you feel that it's too much
>>> to chew. I don't want us to be trapped in a situation where backward
>>> compatibility prevent us from adding use cases.
>> I was also suggesting that listener on particular key should be
>> mandatory requirement. However, any general server-side filtering logic
>> would be hard to specify as HotRod is language-unaware binary protocol.
>> Therefore, the best you could get is some kind of binary regular
>> expressions. For the start, global/one-key filtering is a good start and
>> the door are not closed for any further options.
> Well
> 1. you have a query language that can express restriction regardless of
> your target client language
I'd rather see this kind of functionality within remote continuous
queries than as a part of the listeners API. Mixing the listeners API
(which I'd consider as "basic") and query where you require all the
protobuf-stuff.
> 2. one can imagine to separate the notion of listener *type* whose
> implementation is registered on the server and a given client activating
> a given listener type with some primitive parameters is possible
That sounds to me as more viable option, thanks for pointing it out.

Radim

Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com>
JBoss DataGrid QA