[infinispan-dev] Distributed index?

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 03:52:31 EDT 2014

Hi,

as we've discovered some imperfections in current distributed index
implementation, I'd like to know whether it could be possible to store
on each node only index of those entries that are primary-owned on that
node. Then, each query would be broadcast to other nodes and the results
would be merged.

 From what I understood from Coherence documentation, they do that this
way - this seems quite reasonable to me, and does not introduce any
bottleneck as our index-master node (and also it does not require any
synchronization on shared index). It's also different from sharding
which introduces multiple indices but shares the index across nodes.

I can easily imagine simple ... WHERE x = 'y' queries, ORDER BY or
projections wouldn't be complicated either (unless sorting by
non-projected field). Effective offsets and limits would require a bit
more work, but the simplistic implementation (non-distributed merge)
shouldn't be hard either.

Could this approach be used with Lucene easily, or are there any caveats?

Radim

--
Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com>
JBoss DataGrid QA