[infinispan-dev] Ditching ASYNC modes for REPL/DIST/INV/CacheStores?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Feb 19 06:03:35 EST 2014

On 19 February 2014 07:12, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > A Future doesn't make much sense with an async transport.  The problem
>> > is with an async transport you never get back a response so you never
>> > know when the actual command is completed and thus a Future is
>> > worthless.  The caller wouldn't know if they could rely on the use of
>> > the Future or not.
>>
>> You're right, there's one important difference between putAsync and put
>> with async transport: in the first case you can find out when the
>> request is completed while you cannot with the latter. Not requiring the
>> ack can be an important optimization. I think that both versions are
>> very valid: first mostly for bulk operations = reduction of latency,
>> second for modifications that are acceptable to fail without handling that.
>> I had the first case in my mind when talking about async operations, and
>> there the futures are necessary.
>>
>> A couple more differences:
>> 1. You can't do commitAsync(), but you can configure the commit to be replicated asynchronously (1PC). Although we did talk about removing that option...
>> 2. If you do putAsync(k, v1); putAsync(k, v2), there is no ordering between the two and you might end up with k=v1 in the cache.
>
> If there’s any relationship between both puts for the caller thread, the caller must make sure that the second put is only called after the first has completed.

Actually in such a case I would strongly expect Infinispan to keep the
two operations in order. This is not to be pushed on user's
responsibility.

> If there’s separate threads calling it and it relies on this, it should call replace the second time, i.e. replaceAsync(k, v1, v2) to get the guarantees it wants.
>
> What is really important is that the order in which they are executed in one node/replica is the same order in which they’re executed in all other nodes. This was something that was not maintained when async marshalling was enabled.

+1000

But also I'd stress that any sync operation should have a Future
returned, someone in this long thread suggested to have an option to
drop it for example to speedup bulk imports, but I really can't see a
scenario in which I wouldn't want to know about a failure. Let's not
do the same mistake that made MongoDB so "popular" ;-)
Bulk imports can still be mad efficient without strictly needing to go
these lenghts.

Sanne