[infinispan-dev] Performance validation of Remote & Embedded Query functionality

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 09:54:47 EDT 2014

Hi Sanne,

yes, I do plan to do (Remote|Embedded) Query performance testing, and
also compare the results with some competing solutions.

I definitely plan to use RadarGun for that as so far the development of
tests in it proved to be really effective, I have all the infrastructure
set up to run in distributed environment etc... There is some support
for embedded query performance testing, but this is really basic and
I'll probably have to rewrite most of it in order to widen the capabilities.

As RadarGun aims to be generic framework (although Infinispan features
are naturally covered more thoroughly), I'll have to build some basic
API common to remote, embedded and other querying frameworks, and
translate that into Infinispan APIs. Or use just the query string that
will differ for Infinispan and other solutions. Of course, I could find
myself tailoring that a bit more for Infinispan :)

 >> break down response time of different phases: be able to generate an
histogram of a specific phase only.

What do you mean by the phases?

 >> Count the number of RPCs generated by a specific operation

Huh, Infinispan does not report the RPC stats - although I agree that
would be cool! There's another thread regarding MapReduce where we
discuss that there should be more collectors of perf data scattered
around Infinispan. Created [2].

 >> Count the number of CacheStore writes/reads being triggered

Same as above. Created [1]

Regarding data: Specifying size is not enough. Could you draft several
objects, with some interesting annotations describing the various
querying settings?
I'd probably start with generated data - the deployment is simpler, and
we need to generate them somehow anyway. Fixing seeds is simple.

Ad CapeDwarf & Hibernate OGM:
I don't have any experience with CapeDwarf, but think about RadarGun
this way: it has two main functions:
1) orchestrates the test: starting nodes with some configuration,
running some test stages, gathering and presenting results and so on
2) abstracts the implementations of any functionality by providing
unified (maybe simplified) interface [3] - this is important only if we
want to compare against competitors using the same test

The test itself yet has to be written.
I can't tell whether CapeDwarf guys will be willing to use RadarGun -
probably not, people are usually reluctant to learn any new tool,
especially one that has no GUI. I'll focus on the first benchmarks, and
let's see how that will end up.
PS: For Hibernate OGM, I can easily imagine RadarGun wrapping JPA
EntityManager and routing to Hibernate OGM or generally any JPA
implementation, so that could work.

Radim

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-4352
[2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-4353