[infinispan-dev] Dangers of getCacheEntry (ISPN-4424)

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 11:50:48 EDT 2014

On 24 Jun 2014, at 16:51, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 15:27, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last few days I’ve been having fun fixing [1] and the solution I’ve got to has some links to [2].
>>
>> The problem is that when getCacheEntry() is called, the entry returned could be partially correct. Up until now, we’d send back a cache entry back to the client that the user could not modify, but it was linked to the data container cache entry, which is mutable and hence could change on the fly. As a result of this, the value could sometimes be updated but the version would belong to a previous value for example.
>>
>> A first attempt to fix it was to provide a true immutable cache entry view which was initialised on construction, but even here there was the chance of having value and version mistmatch, because getCacheEntry does not acquire locks, so an ongoing update could result in the cache entry being constructed when the update was half way, so, it would have the right value but the old version information.
>>
>> All this didn’t work well with the replaceIfUmodified logic in [3]. For example, you could easily get this situation:
>>
>> Current Cache contents: key=k1, value=A, version=1
>>
>> T1: Hot Rod client calls: replace(k1, value=B, old-version=1)
>> T2: Hot Rod client calls: replace(k1, value=B, old-version=1)
>> T1: Server calls getCacheEntry and retrieves value=A,version=1
>> T1: Cached and stream versions match (both are 1), so call replace(k1, old-value=A, new-value=B)
>> T1: Server updates value to B but version is still 1
>> T2: Server calls getCacheEntry and retrieves value=B,version=1 (wrong!)
>> T1: Cached and stream versions match (both are 1), so call replace(k1, old-value=B, new-value=B)
>> T1: Server updates version to 2
>> T1: Returns Success, replace worked
>> T2: Returns Success, replace worked
>>
>> The end result is that cache contained B, but both replaces returned true. This is wrong and would fail to consistenly keep a counter in the value part. Imagine the value being a counter of number of times the replace succeeded. In the test developed by Takayoshi, N times replace() would return true, but the final value would be N-1 or N-2, or N-5 :|
>>
>> To fix this, I’ve been working with Dan on some solutions and we’ve taken inspiration of the new requirements appearing as a result of ISPN-2956. To be able to deal with partial application of conditional operations properly, transactional caches are needed. So, the solution that can be seen in [4] takes that, and creates a transaction around the replaceIfUmodified and forces the getCacheEntry() call to acquire lock via FORCE_WRITE_LOCK flag.
>
> so the entire underlaying cache needs to be transactional then?

Yeah, it needs to be transactional, but the code I’ve written also deals with the fact that the cache might not be transactional. I’ll probably add a WARN message when it’s not transactional. This goes in hand with the recommendations for ISPN-2956, whereby failover for conditional operations relying on return values require transactional caches to properly deal with failover situations.

To sum up, if using conditional operations or CRUD methods with Flag.FORCE_RETURN_VALUE, caches should be transactional. Moreover, to achieve concurrency guarantees of counter tests such as the one tested for 4424, locking needs to be pessimistic too. If not using conditional operations or CRUD methods without the flag, the cache could be non-transactional.