[infinispan-dev] Hadoop and ISPN first and next steps

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Jun 26 10:12:05 EDT 2014

On 23 Jun 2014, at 11:04, Gustavo Fernandes <gustavonalle at gmail.com> wrote:

> - I read with great interest the Spark paper [9]. Spark provides a DSL with functional language constructs like map, flatMap and filter to process distributed data in memory. In this scenario, Map Reduce is just a special case achieved by chaining functions [10]. As Spark is much more than Map Reduce, and can run many machine learning algorithms efficiently, I was wondering if we should shift attention to Spark rather than focusing too much on Map Reduce. Thoughts?

I’m not an expert on these topics, but I like the look and the approach of Spark :). The fact that it’s not tight to a single paradigm is particularly interesting, and secondly, the fact that it’s tries to make the most out of functional constructs, which seem to provide more elegant ways of dealing with data.

galder at redhat.com
twitter.com/galderz