[infinispan-dev] Musings on ISPN/JGRPs OSI transport choices and ambitions

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Sat Mar 1 04:29:53 EST 2014

Hi Ben,

why don't you post an edited version of my private replies to you to
this topic as well, so we have some background ?

In a nutshell, you want to use a zero-copy transport between processes
that run on the *same physical box* (e.g. shipping only pointers to
native shared memory between processes). Currently, using TCP or UDP
between processes on the same box still requires 1 or 2 copies, even
when a loopback device is used.

I'm interested in adding such a transport in JGroups 4, in which I plan
to revamp the transport to adopt an NIO based scheme, accommodating both
TDP and TCP. This is all still in the planning phase, but one feature
will be to have multiple transports running in the same stack and
sending messages alternatively via different transports. E.g. multicasts
would use UDP whereas unicasts would use TCP (by default), but this
could be overridden per message (with flags).

If we then had 5 physical boxes, with 20 processes on each box, for a
total of 100 nodes, then we could configure the stacks to run both
SHR_MEM and UDP: a group-wide message (a multicast) would be sent via
SHR_MEM *and* UDP.

The SHR_MEM transport would disseminate the message to all 20 processes
on the same physical box, using shared memory. The UDP transport would
be configured as non-loopback (IP_MULTICAST_LOOP=false), which means
that the message would be multicast to the other 3 physical boxes, but
the local multicast would be dropped. The other boxes would then use
SHR_MEM to disseminate the message locally to all 20 processes.

Just an idea atm, this could also be done via RELAY2, but the QoS would
not be the same.

I'm planning on releasing 3.5 in 6-8 weeks from now. This includes a
community baking phase during which I'll be working on a deep-dive
course on JGroups.

So a *very tentative* schedule is to start on 4.0 at the beginning of
summer.

Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)