[infinispan-dev] Remoting package refactor

Pedro Ruivo pedro at infinispan.org
Thu Nov 6 10:23:56 EST 2014

On 11/06/2014 03:01 PM, Bela Ban wrote:

> On 06/11/14 15:36, Pedro Ruivo wrote:
>>
>> * added a single thread remote executor service. This will handle the
>> FIFO deliver commands. Previously, they were handled by JGroups incoming
>> threads and with a new executor service, each cache can process their
>> own FIFO commands concurrently.
>
> +1000. This allows multiple updates from the same sender but to
> different caches to be executed in parallel, and will speed thing up.
>
> Do you intend to share a thread pool between the invocations handlers of
> the various caches, or do they each have their own thread pool ? Or is
> this configurable ?

That is question that cross my mind and I don't have any idea what would
be the best. So, for now, I will leave the thread pool shared between
the handlers.

Never thought to make it configurable, but maybe that is the best
option. And maybe, it should be possible to have different max-thread
size per cache. For example:

* all caches using this remote executor will share the same instance
<remote-executor name="shared" shared="true" max-threads=4.../>

* all caches using this remote executor will create their own thread
pool with max-threads equals to 1
<remote-executor name="low-throughput-cache" shared="false"
max-threads=1 .../>

* all caches using this remote executor will create their own thread
pool with max-threads equals to 1000
<remote executor name="high-throughput-cache" shared="false"
max-thread=1000 .../>

is this what you have in mind? comments?

Cheers,
Pedro