[infinispan-dev] Infinispan 7 documentation

Jiri Holusa jholusa at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 06:26:56 EDT 2014

Hi guys,

I wanted to share one user experience feedback with you. At university, I had a lecture about NoSQL datastores and Infinispan was also mentioned. The lecturer also showed some code examples. To my surprise, he used Infinispan 6. So after the lecture I asked him why version 6, not 7, and his answer was quite surprising.

He told me that he got angry on Infinispan 7 documentation, because many code snippet examples were from old 6 version and that he was basically unable to configure it in a reasonable time. So he threw it away and switched back to Infinispan 6. I justed wanted to make a little discussion about this, because I think this is quite a big issue.

I noticed that part of this issue was fixed just recently (18 hours ago, nice coincidence :)) by [1] (+10000 Gustavo), but there are still some out-of-date examples.

But the message I want to say, we should pay attention to this (I know, boring) stuff, because we're basically discouraging users/community from using the newest version. Every customer/user will start playing with the community version and if he's not able to set it up in a few moments, he will move on to another product. And we don't want that, right? :)

I also have clap the effort of Tristan with step-by-step tutorial, that's exactly what user wants and I would be happy to help you in anyway (verifying, keeping up-to-date, whatever) with it.

Conclusion: let's pay more attention to documentation, it's the entering point for every newcomer and we want to make as best first impression as possible :)

Thanks,
Jirka

P.S.: I don't see the changes from [1] in Infinispan User Guide [2], am I missing something or will it appear there later?

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/3011/
[2] http://infinispan.org/docs/7.0.x/user_guide/user_guide.html