[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod Remote Events #3: Customizing events

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 03:15:49 EDT 2014

On 09/22/2014 07:38 PM, William Burns wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 09/18/2014 07:21 PM, William Burns wrote:

>>> When the notification is raised it has already been committed into the
>>> data container so it is not possible to do a get at this point.

>>> I actually was talking to Emmanuel about this yesterday for a bit.  It
>>> seems that we will need to expose the previous value to at least the
>>> KeyValueFilter, but it might be best to also do this for the Converter
>>> as well.  I as thinking of adding another interface that extends the
>>> KeyValueFilter that would be kept in the notification package that
>>> passes both the previous value and the new value (the same could be
>>> done for Converter).  With this change I am also thinking maybe the
>>> addListener methods would take the new interface instead of
>>> KeyValueFilter as well possibly.  What do you guys think?
> Talking with Mircea we are thinking that the least confusing way of
> implementing this is to instead just change the KeyValueFilter and
> Converter interfaces to instead have an additional parameter of
> oldValue passed along in addition to the others.  Unfortunately some
> uses of these interfaces does not fully make sense, especially outside
> of events, but in those cases we will always pass a null oldValue and
> I will update the other methods to reflect this.  Such cases are
> cluster entry iterator and data container iteration.
>
> Any objections or thoughts?

I understand that you don't want zillions of interfaces, but in my
opinion, the interface should always fit its purpose. I would rather
have UpdateFilter.accept(key, oldValue, oldMetadata, newValue,
newMetadata) and similar UpdateConverter than reusing the interface with
dummy arguments elsewhere.

>> Please, consider also the corner cases such as overwriting already updated
>> value, e.g. after OutdatedTopologyException. Sometimes the oldValue might
>> not be correct (we probably can't evade this but I hope we can detect that
>> it might have happened) and the Converter should react to that - e.g. by
>> sending full new value instead of empty diff (because oldValue == newValue).
> Unfortunately it is too late to retrieve the old value by the time we
> do the retry if it was already replicated to a backup owner.  We do
> detect this and provide that info the Listener event, but talking with
> some others I am unsure if providing this information to the
> Filter/Converter is fully needed.

Not providing that info to Converter limits the use-case of converter
producing deltas. In fact it's even worse - users will write that
converter (because the won't expect incorrect old values - nobody reads
documentation) and it will give them unreliable results.

Radim

--
Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com>
JBoss DataGrid QA