[infinispan-dev] Infinispan 7.0 feature freeze and future planning

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Thu Sep 25 12:35:16 EDT 2014

On 25 September 2014 16:31, Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Infinispan 7.0 has been in development for over 9 months now and we
> really need to release it into the wild since it contains a lot of juicy
> stuff :)
> For this reason I'm calling a feature freeze and all new features need
> to be reassigned over to 7.1 or 7.2.
>
> For the next minor releases I would like to suggest the following strategy:
> - use a 3 month timebox where we strive to maintain master in an "always
> releasable" state
> - complex feature work will need to happen onto dedicated feature
> branches, using the usual GitHub pull-request workflow
> - only when a feature is complete (code, tests, docs, reviewed,
> CI-checked) it will be merged back into master
> - if a feature is running late it will be postponed to the following
> minor release so as not to hinder other development
>
> Suggestions, amendments to the above are welcome.

+1000 , as the thousand good reasons for which that is the only
sustainable development model.

Also a suggestion of a model which worked pretty well for me - and is
in no way in contrast with the above - is that if you're working on a
complex feature which you'd rather "rush in" because rebasing is
getting complex, is to extract from your branch the large refactorings
which you're needing and propose those already, even if the full
feature isn't finished. Needless to say that is only acceptable when
 - you know for sure that refactoring is going to be needed (i.e. your
full work isn't finished but is in advanced state enough to have this
knowledge)
 - it doesn't break anything whatsoever
 - isn't a pain for others, or won't otherwise slow down others

This generally works well, as if you don't have a large refactoring
which you can somehow extract from your work in progress, it means
you're not in trouble maintaining the constant rebase either, and is a
good exercise to keep your flow of changes reorganized and under
control.

Sanne