[infinispan-dev] Special cache types and their configuration (or lack of)

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Mon Jul 27 10:41:07 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I wanted to bring attention to some discussion that has happened in the
context of Radim's work on simplified code for specific cache types [1].

In particular, Radim proposes adding explicit configuration options
(i.e. a new simple-cache cache type) to the programmatic/declarative API
to ensure that a user is aware of the limitations of the resulting cache
type (no interceptors, no persistence, no tx, etc).

My opinion is that we should aim for "less" configuration and not
"more", and that optimizations such as these should get enabled
implicitly when the parameters allow it: if the configuration code
detects it can use a "simple" cache.

Also, this choice should happen at cache construction time, and not
dynamically at cache usage time.

WDYT ?

Tristan

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/3577