[infinispan-dev] missing "int org.infinispan.configuration.cache.EvictionConfiguration.maxEntries()" & NoSuchMethodError running hibernate-infinispan tests with Infinispan 7.2.1

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Fri May 15 11:00:08 EDT 2015

On 15/05/2015 16:38, Scott Marlow wrote:
> Applications that compile against Infinispan 6.x, will expect that
> org.infinispan.configuration.cache.EvictionConfiguration.maxEntries()
> returns an int but when they run against Infinispan 7.x, they will not
> find this method (since maxEntries() returns a long).
>
> Is this a known bug or issue on Infinispan 7.x?

Since this was changed in a minor release (7.2) it definitely is a bug.
While we can provide overloaded setters, doing so for a getter is
obviously not possible. We should probably release a 7.2.2 which
restores "int maxEntries()" and adds a "long maxEntriesAsLong()".

However be aware that for 8.0 we want to remove the "int" variants
altogether.

> Can you recommend a
> solution or workaround for applications that currently depend on
> maxEntries returning an int but aren't ready to recompile against
> Infinispan 7?

I believe the only "safe" solution is to use (yuck) reflection for now...

Tristan

> Also see the original discussion from last night on hibernate-dev ml [1][2].
>
> Scott
>
> [1] http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/hibernate-dev/2015-May/012715.html
> [2] http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/hibernate-dev/2015-May/012725.html

Tristan Tarrant