[infinispan-dev] Equivalence vs. MurmurHash3

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 08:16:04 EST 2015

On 11/23/2015 01:07 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> +1
>
> See also https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3905 ; although I was
> mostly concerned on it allocating on a (very) hot path and didn't look
> at it in terms of compatibility modes.
Yes, due to compatibility we cannot remove the UTF-8 encoding from
MurmurHash3 since compatibility with clients (in other languages)
depends on this as well, though, we could theoretically merge encoding
and hashing into one function - UTF-8 encoder implementation looks quite
simple (60 lines of code?) - could be worth it even if used only for
server. However, my proposal was to remove that computation from
hot-code path completely.

> Rather than xorring with "magic numbers" don't you think we
> Equivalence implementation should be able to rule on that?

We shouldn't require user to provide a pair of hashCode functions, I
don't think that would work well in practice. Though, we could make the
second function Java 8-default method (with return hashCode() ^
0xWHATEVER), still allowing it to be overridable.

Radim